Today we installed the new Warp 9 motor into the MR2. The ADC 9 motor we removed needs to have the commutator surfaced and new brushes. We will refurbish that 6 year old motor as a side project this fall.
The install seemed to be going well until we realized the Warp9 has a different bolt pattern on the auxiliary shaft end than is on the ADC 9. We also found that dimensionally, the Warp is a slightly larger motor overall as well. We ended up having to make some modifications to one of the motor mounts in order to make the motor fit. The whole process took almost 6 hours, but we had to have the MR2 ready for a presentation at the Surf City Kiwanis meeting tomorrow.
Thanks to the following students who showed up at 8am to work. Fouty, Todd, Alexis, Sal, Stephen, Joey, Tony and Kevin. It was a long and challenging day, but it was worth it in the end. The install was also a very good troubleshooting exercise.